If you are a Commercial Construction Superintendent and aspire to join a company focused on delivering world-class design and construction, locally scaled - we can’t wait to hear from you!
It is the responsibility of the Superintendent to supervise the field construction of projects and to complete the work on schedule, within the budget and to the quality of workmanship specified. It is also the Superintendent’s responsibility to serve as an AUSLAND representative in a defined capacity (as authorized by Project Manager) with respect to the Owner/Designer/Builder team. In the performance of this function, it is the Superintendent’s responsibility to protect and promote AUSLAND’S interests in all matters and to do whatever is reasonably necessary to execute Superintendent’s duties and responsibilities which include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist project management and estimating in the creation of work plans and CPM schedules.
- Schedule and sequence day to day activities and take necessary action to ensure project objectives are met.
- Create and update short-interval look-ahead schedules weekly, and assist Project Manager in administration of master CPM schedule.
- Notify trade contractors and suppliers in advance to assure timely performance.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the contract documents, prime contract, and subcontracts.
- Create and maintain timely, orderly, and efficient project document flow in collaboration with Project Manager [i.e.: RFIs, submittals, change orders] (in harmony with scale and character of project as framed by Project Manager)
- Maintain daily site related “paperwork”[i.e.: timecards, field reports, short-term schedule updates]
- Utilize integrated project management software as appropriate for all documentation.
- Provide detailed and accurate cost control through various means, including but not limited to:
- Job costing
- Purchase orders (Supervisors authorized less than $1,000)
- Equipment tracking
- Time card reporting
- Assisting project management with billing and subcontractor requisitions.
- Assist Project Manager with execution of change orders, including: estimating, pricing, narrative drafting, and negotiation.
- Create, implement, and maintain site logistics program in collaboration with Project Manager and estimating. (i.e.: field office location and layout, temporary utilities, staging areas, etc.)
- In collaboration with estimating and project team ensure drawings and specifications are examined, prior to beginning construction, for design deficiencies, impractical details, and possible code violations. Through proper channels bring deficiencies to timely resolution.
- Coordinate expedition of supply of materials, equipment, and labor.
- Coordinate, monitor, and inspect activities of subcontractors, suppliers, and AUSLAND’S labor crews.
- Manage AUSLAND foreman and field labor to ensure high performance/progressive production and completion of work in harmony with cost, quality and quantity factors.
- Manage effective and harmonious working relationships of the on-site staff and to promote a positive project morale.
- Meet at regular intervals with the Owner and Designer to keep them current to the status/progress of the work. (in harmony with scale and character of project as framed by Project Manager)
- See that all required permits or licenses have been obtained. Cooperate with, and direct when necessary, the activities of the inspection agencies.
- Chair weekly coordination and safety meetings with the subcontractors and to issue written minutes to the project team.
- Maintain good relations and communications with all involved in the project including the public.
- Establish and maintain AUSLAND’S administrative procedures as they relate to the project, including, but not limited to:
- Applications for payment – assist Project Manager in creation of billings.
- Forecasting – assist Project Manager to update/reconcile cost forecasts.
- Changes - ensure that additional project costs are claimed, submitted, and accounted for in a timely manner – in collaboration with Project Manager.
- Hold weekly “tool box talk” safety meetings with AUSLAND staff.
- Enforce company standards of site cleanliness, safety, health, and substance abuse.
- Oversee implementation and ongoing compliance with project safety requirements: i.e.: project specific safety plans, fall protection plans, MSDS documentation, etc.
- Be responsible for project layout and dimensional control.
- Oversee compliance with scope and quality established by construction documents, including review of certain shop drawings and submittals.
- Review and approve, on a weekly basis, all as-built documents.
- Implement and maintain prescribed (or necessary) quality control measures.
- Receive, inspect, and verify quantity and quality of materials and supplies received on site.
- Inventory, maintain, and care for construction equipment.
EXPERIENCE / SKILLS / ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Outstanding plan reading and interpretation skills.
- Strong project level supervisory and leadership skills.
- Confident and firm (yet fair) demeanor.
- Knowledge of basic building codes.
- Broad knowledge of building and/or industrial construction.
- Layout skills: use of common automatic levels and transits.
- Understanding of commercial safety standards.
- Ability to apply basic mathematic concepts of algebra and geometry.
- Proficiency with typical industry software, such as:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to type/key a minimum of thirty (30) words per minute.
- Proficiency in business English.
- Ability to be flexible with changing priorities, work under pressure, meet deadlines.
- Ability to lift and move up to 45 lbs. occasionally.
- Sitting (or driving) in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), i.e.: using a keyboard.
- Communication using the spoken word.
- Ability to see within normal parameters.
- Ability to hear within normal range.
- Ability to move about a construction site including, but not limited to: climbing ladders and scaffold, and walk over uneven terrain.
EDUCATION / CREDENTIALS / LICENSES
- Valid driver’s license and reasonable driving record
- CPR/AED certificate (within six months of hire)
- 30 hour OSHA training (within six months of hire)
- High school diploma or equivalent, and
- at least five years of progressive experience in commercial construction supervision.
REWARDS / BENEFITS / COMPENSATION
Opportunity to work in a professional, growing construction company with continued exposure to marquee construction projects. Benefits include competitive salary, bonus potential, Health benefits (medical, dental, vision), life and ADD insurance, HSA-Health Savings Account, PTO-Paid Time Off, Health club membership, 401k retirement plan plus employer matching, employee training, and company social events.
Ausland Group is an equal opportunity employer. We invite resumes from all individuals including women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities.